Love wine but never know what the connoisseurs are talking about? Want to join in on conversations about delectable wines from around the world? A course at The Cork Wine School may be just what you’re looking for.
Wine can be a daunting subject for some when it comes up but it need not be. With a short but excellent course you will soon be the person everyone hands the wine menu to in restaurants, waiting for your expert selection!
Launched in 2010 by O’Donovans Off Licence, the Cork Wine School provides wine education classes for the South of Ireland.
Gary O’Donovan saw an opening in the market for WSET accredited courses in Ireland, following the unfortunate closure of the Wine Board of Ireland in 2009. Gary lectured WSET courses for the Wine Board of Ireland since 1996 and subsequently The Cork Wine School. The Cork Wine School was established, to further people’s knowledge and enjoyment of the wonderful world of wine.
Gary has over 22 years’ experience lecturing for the Wine Board of Ireland, and so has a wealth of knowledge of the wine industry and wine tasting expertise. Potential students can rest assured they will receive their money and time’s worth of wine education from this Diploma holder in wines and spirits from WSET.
These courses are aimed at not just those in the wine trade and industry but also consumers and enthusiasts. “They may attend a course because of a wish to gain a formal qualification or simply a desire to enhance their knowledge of the ever-increasing variety of wines and spirits being produced in the world today.”
The Cork Wine School currently runs two levels of wine education, both of which are WSET accredited. The Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits is popular with wine and spirit employees, giving an excellent and well-round knowledge of product. The course is also suitable for those interested in wines as a consumer.
“The aim of the course is to focus on the key grape varieties and regions of the world, and principle varieties of spirits.”
Course Outline – Level 2
- How wine is made and other factors influencing the style of wine
- Key white grape varieties
- Key black grape varieties
- Wine-producing regions of the world
- Sparkling wines
- Sweet wines and fortified wines
- Spirits and liqueurs
- Label terminology
- Food and wine pairing
- The WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine
- To gain the qualification students need to pass a multiple-choice paper of 50 questions
And we’re excited to announce The Cork Wine School’s next Level 2 course is running from September 11th to November 6th! The nine-week evening course takes place on Tuesdays from 7pm to 9pm at a cost of just €435.
The school also offers a Level 3 Award in Wines and Spirits, fully accredited. “This qualification is open to students who hold the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits or can demonstrate the equivalent level of knowledge.”
The next Level 3 course starts in Jan 2019, dates to be confirmed. The 15-week evening course costs €710.
This level aims to provide a much more detailed and comprehensive analysis of the principle wines and spirits of the world. Students will also learn to identify product style and quality from in-depth tastings.
Course Outline – Level 3
Unit 1 – Wines and Spirits of the World
- Production of wine (location, viticulture, vinification, maturation and bottling, labelling regulations)
- France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Central and South Eastern Europe, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand, North America, South and Central America
- Sparkling wines
- Fortified (liqueur) wines
- Spirits and liqueurs
- Information and advice for customers and staff
- This unit is evaluated by a multiple-choice paper of 50 questions and a question paper requiring short, written answers.
Unit 2 – Tasting and Evaluating Wines of the World
- WSET Level 3 Systematic Approach to Tasting – how to taste wines and evaluate the quality, style and price
- This unit is assessed by a blind tasting paper of two wines
Successful students receive a certificate and WSET lapel pin upon completion and graduation of each course.
If you know someone who would absolutely adore this course, there are gift vouchers available for the school too!